2013 Bradley Bracket Fiasco/OFFICIAL RULES
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. A PURCHASE WILL NOT IMPROVE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. ALL FEDERAL, STATE, LOCAL AND MUNICIPAL LAWS AND REGULATIONS APPLY. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
1. Eligibility. Subject to the additional restrictions below, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution (Sponsor) Mark Bradley’s Bracket Fiasco (the Contest) is open to Georgia residents only, who are 18 years of age and older at the time of entry. Employees of Cox Enterprises d/b/a The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, or any of their respective affiliates or advertising and promotional agencies, and the immediate family members of, and any persons domiciled with, any such employees, are not eligible to enter or win. The term immediate family members includes spouses, parents, grandparents, siblings, children and grandchildren.
2. How to Play: In the "Upfront" game, you pick the winner of each game of each round of the tournament prior to the start of the first full round of the tournament (i.e., the round of 64 teams).
Select the team that you predict will win each game of the Men's College Basketball Tournament and enter the score for the designated tie-breaker game. You may enter your picks until fifteen (15) minutes before the start of the first game of the first full round of the tournament (i.e., the round of 64 teams). You will not be required to pick the winners of the "First Four" play-in games. Limit one (1) entry per person.
Each round of the tournament is worth up to 64 points. There are 6 rounds in the tournament worth up to 384 points. You will receive 2 points for each First Round game you pick correctly. You will receive 4 points for each Second Round game you pick correctly. You will receive 8 points for each Third Round game you pick correctly. You will receive 16 points for each Fourth Round game you pick correctly. You will receive 32 points for each Fifth Round game you pick correctly. You will receive 64 points for picking the winner of the Championship game. If a game is canceled, forfeited, or indefinitely suspended for any reason, that game shall not count for any participant and scores will be computed as if the game did not exist.
The participant with the highest score for each round will be deemed the round winner, subject to verification. The participant with the highest total score for all rounds combined will be deemed the Grand Prize winner, subject to verification of eligibility.
In the event of a tie for the highest score in any round, the winner for the round will be randomly selected from among the tied participants.
In the event of a tie for the highest overall score, the computer takes those tied participants and applies the "Score Approximation Formula" outlined below to determine the Grand Prize winner.
Score Approximation Formula:
1. Subtract what the participant chose as the score for the winning team from the actual winning team's score and square this value.
2. Subtract what the participant chose as the score for the losing team from the actual losing team's score and squares this value.
3. Add the value from 1 and 2 above together to get the participant's "score approximation".
The participant with the lowest "Score Approximation" will be deemed the winner.
If there are still ties, the ties will be broken based on the following criteria in this order:
1. The most points earned in the Fifth Round.
2. The most points earned in the Fourth Round.
3. The most points earned in the Third Round.
4. The most points earned in the Second Round.
5. The most points earned in the First Round.
6. If there is still a tie the computer picks a random winner from the tied players.
All decisions of the judges are final. Only one (1) Grand Prize Winner will be selected. All winners are considered potential winners until all necessary documents and releases are signed. The potential winner will be notified by phone and/or e-mail by Wednesday, April 10, 2013, and must meet all eligibility requirements including the execution and return of all necessary releases and affidavits. If the potential winner does not respond to notification attempts to contact him/her within twenty-four hours after notification is sent, an alternate winner may be selected at Sponsor’s sole discretion. Notification is deemed sent when an email is sent by Sponsor or a telephone message is left by Sponsor, whichever occurs first. All drawings and judging will be conducted by authorized representatives of Sponsor, and all decisions of the Sponsor and the Contest judges selected by Sponsor will be final and binding in all respects.
3. Prize Description. The AJC’s Grand Prize Winner will receive (1) $1,000 in the form of a gift card. Winner is considered a potential winner until all necessary documents and releases are signed. Sponsor will not be responsible for any claims, losses, or injuries arising out of a winner’s acceptance or use of the Grand Prize. All prizes are non-refundable and non-transferable.
4. Odds of Winning. The odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received.
5. Winner Notification and Acceptance. The Grand Prize Winner will be notified by Sponsor of their selection, by e-mail or telephone at the telephone number and/or e-mail address provided on the winner’s entry form, no later than Wednesday, April 10, 2013. Sponsor’s inability to reach winner within 24 hours of said notification, at the telephone number and/or e-mail address provided on his or her entry form will result in disqualification of winner and forfeiture of his or her interest in the Grand Prize. In the event that the selected Grand Prize Winner is disqualified for any reason, a new winner will be selected by the same process stated above. No substitutions allowed by winners. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute prizes of equal or greater value. All winners are solely responsible for reporting and payment of any taxes on prizes. The Grand Prize Winner may be required to complete an affidavit of eligibility, and a liability and publicity release (except where prohibited by law) which must be returned within two (2) days of date of personal delivery or date of postmark. Failure to sign and return the affidavit or release within two (2) days, or to comply with any term or condition of these Official Rules, may result in Grand Prize Winner’s disqualification, the forfeiture of their interest in the Grand Prize and the awarding of the Grand Prize to a substitute winner. Except where prohibited, by entering, each participant agrees to allow Sponsors and their designees to use their name, biographical information and likeness in any media for any commercial or promotional purpose, without limitation or further compensation. Online entrants to the Contest will be given the option to receive commercial e-mails from Sponsors; however, eligibility to participate in the Contest is not dependent upon entrant’s consent to receive such e-mails
6. Participation and Reservation of Rights by Sponsor. By participating, entrants agree to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of Sponsor and the Contest judges. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify persons found tampering with or otherwise abusing any aspect of this Contest as solely determined by Sponsor. In the event the Contest in total or any of the individual Contest elements are compromised by a virus, non-authorized human intervention, tampering or other causes beyond the reasonable control of Sponsor, Sponsors or their Entities which corrupts or impairs the administration, security, fairness or proper operation of the Contest, Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to suspend, modify or terminate the Contest in total. Should the Contest be terminated prior to the stated expiration date(s), Sponsor reserves the right to award prize(s) based on the entries received before the termination date(s). By entering the Contest, each Winner agrees to waive any and all claims against the Sponsors and their respective agents and representatives for any injury, damage or loss that may occur from the participation in the Contest or from the receipt or use of any prize or travel related to the receipt or use of any prize.
7. Construction. The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of these rules shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision. In the event that any such provision is determined to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable, these rules shall be construed in accordance with their terms as if the invalid or unenforceable provision was not contained therein. The rules will be construed under the laws of the State of Georgia.
8. Sponsor. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution Mark Bradley’s Bracket Fiasco Contest is sponsored by Cox Enterprises, Inc. d/b/a The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. The decisions of Sponsor and the Contest judges regarding the selection of the finalists, Grand Prize Winner and all other aspects of the Contest shall be final and binding in all respects. Sponsors will not be responsible for typographical, printing or other inadvertent errors in these Official Rules or in other materials relating to the Contest. For the name of the winner (available after April 15, 2013) and/or a copy of these Official Rules, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to AJC Marketing, 223 Perimeter Center Parkway, 4th Floor, Atlanta, GA 30346, Attn: Mark Bradley’s Bracket Fiasco Contest Winners List Request or Official Rules Request (as applicable).
9. The approximate retail value of the grand prize is $1,000.